This impressive castle ruin build on a hill with a large moat was build around 1120 by William Meschines, it took over 150 years to build.
Richard de Lucy was baron here from 1200 to 1212. Hi reign was cut short by his desire to fight in the 13th century crusades in eastern europe. Richard joined the crusades to christianize the slavic countries in 1211. He fought many battles and became one of the most powerful members of the army, he was severely wounded and had to withdraw from battle. He later died from his injuries and was returned to the priory of St.Bees in a lead coffin (his coffin, complete with his remains was rediscovered in the 1970s – due to the lead coffin his remains were quite intact- the De Lucy centre on Egremont main street bares his family name.
You can visit St Bees Priory.. we have a page in Sights & Nature on the website with more info.
Around 1205 the wife of Richard De Lucy was believed to be killed by a wolf in the forests near the castle whilst out hunting, the tale of Grunwilda was told; she was the wife of Richard de Lucy and was killed by a wolf on a hunting trip; this tale is recounted in the poem “The Woeful Chase”.
Parking: There is parking just down the road on Egremont main street.
Photo Credit: Ashley Dace! Castle entrance- Roger May
Thanks to Egremont town council for the info.